loader image


The fledgling community was given the name of the great 4th century martyr Demetrios (+306 AD) to be its patron and protector as a mark of respect to the recently elected Patriarch Demetrius of Constantinople (1972–1991).

Our beautiful church building, dating from 1909 and designed by E.L Warre, was originally erected as the Anglican church of St Martin’s to serve as a missionary parish to the Lower Edmonton area. It was purchased by the Orthodox in 1980. The nave, built to accommodate 750 persons, has aisles and transepts with exposed stone dressings. The church also has a remarkable exposed wooden roof with carved gilded angels. St Martin’s Vicarage built alongside the church, but not originally sold to the Orthodox Community, was reunited within the church complex after its purchase by St Demetrios’ church in 2003. The vicarage now houses St Demetrios Greek School. The church also benefits from two large halls which are used for parish activities and events.

St Demetrios is one of the most loved saints of the Eastern Orthodox Church. He was a devout soldier of Christ and missionary, converting many to the Christian faith and is known for his many miracles. He was a high ranking officer in the Roman army, martyred for his faith at a young age while being held prisoner at the Roman baths of Thessalonica, Greece and where his church now stands.

With the title ‘great martyr’, St Demetrios is known also by the appellation ‘myrrh-streamer’ because of the sweet-scented, healing myrrh which flows from his relics. We are blessed to keep a small fragment of his relics in our Church.


Scroll to Top